Recertification is the process by which a licenced firearm holder updates his/her Firearm User Licence Card, which is renewable by law every five (5) years. All licenced firearm holders are required by to complete the Recertification process every five (5) years.
Provisions are made for licenced firearm holders who have never completed the recertification process to come in and get up to date with the new system. Firearm Holders who fall in this category are to contact the FLA immediately to schedule an appointment to begin the recertification process.
Failure to complete this process may result in the revocation of your Firearm Licence as stipulated by Section 34 of the Firearms Act which states “Every licence shall continue in force for five (5) years from the day on which it was granted”.
The full process is outlined below
ALL Licenced Firearm Holders are required to have with them the below mentioned documents when they visit the Authority to complete the recertification process:
- - One (1) Application Form (FLA001A). This form is to be completed and signed by ALL applicants. A valid secure email address MUST be written on the form.
- - One (1) passport photograph [solid background]. (Applicable only to licenced firearm holders who do not have a photo on the FLA database)
- - Two (2) Recommendations from any two (2) of the following categories of persons:
- - Minister of Religion (must be a Marriage Officer)
- - Justice of the Peace
- - Gazetted Rank Police Officer (not below the rank of Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP)
- - Member of the JDF (Major and above)
- - Member of Parliament
- - Attorney-at-law
- - Medical Doctor
- - Resident Magistrate
N.B. All recommendations are to be addressed to the Firearm Licensing Authority.
- - Completed Declaration of Secure Location to Store Firearm Form (D019).
- - Fingerprint Receipt (Conditional).
- - Provide any one (1) of the following Proof of Address (original and copy) that is no more than three (3) months old:
- Utility Bill
- Bank Statement; or
- Letter from an established organization
Recommendations and Authorization Letters issued more than 6 months prior to the submission of the application will NOT be accepted.
PART C – D above are applicable only to persons being processed by the Authority for the first time since being granted a Licence through the JCF.
During the recertification process each individual will be fingerprinted.